Wednesday, December 2, 2015

The Change in Zechariah, the Change in Us
Luke 1.5-23; 2.67-79
Wednesday, December 2, 2015 
            The writer of the gospel of Luke spends a lot of time on Zechariah – 30 verses in all!  This factor alone suggests that we pay attention to him.  Although none of the sources that I consulted mention the change that occurs in Zechariah between the two major passages that concern him (Luke 1.5-23 and 2.67-79), I contend that he is markedly different after being touched by the Divine.  This leads me to reflect on the changes in me since I became more aware of the nature and power of God in August 1971.  (My goodness, that was 44 years ago!)
            We noted on Monday of this week that, despite his status as a priest, when Zechariah was told about the upcoming birth of his son, John, he did not believe, and, thus, was unable to speak.  However, after the miraculous power of God seen in the lives of his wife Elizabeth and in Mary, everyone was “amazed” and “immediately his mouth was opened and his tongue freed, and, he began to speak, praising God ” (Luke 1.63-64). After noting the people’s responses of fear and wonderment, Zechariah then sang what is known as the Benedictus (Luke 1.68-79).  Here, instead of focusing on himself, expressing his disbelief in God, Zechariah is now a changed man.  He had enough godly character to cooperate with God in raising his son John the Baptist to be the forerunner of God’s Son, Jesus.
            How about me?  Have I been changed in the 44 years since my experience in a house church in Buffalo, New York when I experienced the love of God through an offering plate that was passed around?  The purpose of that plate was twofold: to give an offering if we were able or to take a gift from the offering plate if we had a need, with no expectation of repayment.  Up until that evening, no one had ever offered me a gift without strings attached.  I took the love of God from that plate and all the gifts and responsibilities that that entailed.
            I challenge us all today – myself included – to reflect on the gifts and responsibilities that came from God’s offering plate to us, no matter how long ago that was – even now!

No comments:

Post a Comment